“They committed themselves to the teaching of the apostles the life together, the common meal and the prayers” Acts 2:42TM) Community requires commitment. Only the Holy Spirit can create real fellowship between believers, but He cultivates it with the choices and commitments we make. Read what Paul says – (Eph 4:3) Read also 1Tim 3:14-15)
(1) Cultivating community takes honesty. You will have to care enough to lovingly speak the trust even when you would rather gloss over a problem or ignore an issue Read Gal 6:1-2; Eph 4:25, 1Cor 5:3-12)
(2) Cultivating community takes humility. Self importance, singleness and stubborn pride destroy fellowship faster than anything else. Clothe yourselves with humility toward one another 1Pet. 5:5b Read 12:16
(3) Cultivating community takes courtesy. Courtesy is respecting our differences, being considerate of each other’s feelings and patient with people who irritate us. Read Titus 3:2; Rom 12:10
(4) Cultivating community takes confidentiality. Only in the safe environment of warm acceptance and trusted confidentiality will people open up and share their deepest hurts. (Heb 10:25)
(5) Cultivating community takes frequency. You must have frequent regular contact with your group in order to build genuine fellowship. Relationship requires an investment of time , share true feeling, encourage each other, support each other, forgive each other, speak the truth in love, admit our weaknesses, respect of differences, not gossip and make group a priority. (Rick Warren)
PRAYER LINE: Father Lord, grant us the peace, wisdom and love to live as a community, to appreciate what binds us together more than what divides us. Amen.
We do not repent in order to go to Christ; we go to Christ in order to repent.