ATTITUDES AFFECT OUR ARTERIES                                    Psalm 32:1-11

“Blessed is the man unto whom the LORD imputeth not iniquity, and in whose spirit there is no guile.” (v2)

An American doctor, Charles T. Bingham claimed: “Worry, fear and anger are the greatest disease causers. If we, had perfect faith, we wouldn’t worry about a thing. “The Japanese have a very interesting character in their language for disease; it means “the spirit in trouble.” For centuries physicians thought disease was the body in trouble and as a result, operations have been performed for physical difficulties that really could not be resolved in that way. Then, in the twentieth century, doctors began to talk about psychosomatic problems –  the  recognition that some diseases are rooted in the soma (the Greek word for body) and some in the psyche (the Greek word for soul) Doctors at the Mayo Clinic in the USA were reported as saying that they can deal with only 25% of the patients that come to them with the instruments of science; the remaining 75% need to change their attitudes before they can get well. There is no doubt that Christian attitudes to life – forgiveness of others, generosity of spirit, and so on – would clear up a great many physical illnesses. I have learned, whenever I have fallen ill, to ask myself if any harboured wrong attitude has contributed to my state of health, and sometimes I have found it has. It is important to check up on our attitude, for our attitudes can greatly affect our arteries. But what if we are broken by continued ill health which does not stem from the mind or the soul? God can help us there.

PRAYER LINE: Father, I see that I must be healthy in mind and soul if I am to be healthy in body. Help me bombard every cell of my body with Christian attitudes and a positive mindset. In Jesus’ Name. Amen (EDWJ).


Let God’s Word fill your memory, rule your heart, and guide your words

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *